[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Report for Jonny Ström, OSS, Quicknet, PC-Phone, PC-PC, PPC

Kilian Krause wrote:
Hi Johnny,

To make this clear we used iLBC first and then G711 :)
I looked in the general history so I know that.

In any case the sound was not usable so to say.

no wonder this is trash with a dialup.. iLBC is 13.3kbits/s at least and
G711 is 64kbit/s (and that's only payload data, multiply *2 or 2.5 to
have the factual traffic on the line *PER DIRECTION*)... remember dialup
has only 33k6 on upload (even with V90)

You should rather try with Speex8k or GSM...

Well I have used iLBC on dialups before without any problems,
I was looking at the packet loss when we did the calls and there where no packet loss on my side at least.

And then we tested with the OSS driver he could get sound from me with good quality, I could not hear him in this case becouse of duplex limitations on his side.

I guess we coulde have tried Speex8k as well, I did not know that he was on a dialup, I am not sure about that.

The sound that I recived was noting I have ever heard before on
a connection with limited bandwith it was totally distorted.

Cheers Johnny