[GnomeMeeting-list] no sound!

Hi there,

I have been trying to make gnomemeeting work on my
gentoo 1.4 for a long time.
I could use it to connect to another netmeeting in my
LAN and see the webcam's nice videos. But the biggest
trouble is: there is no SOUND!

My sound card works great. I could use
gnome-sound-recorder to record my voice nicely. But
everytime I try the configuration druid to test audio,

I get
The selected audio device (/dev/sound/dsp) was
successfully opened but it is impossible to write data
to this device. Please check your audio setup.
but here is ls -l
crw------- 1 seki audio 14, 3 Dec 31 1969
/dev/sound/dsp
crw------- 1 seki audio 14, 0 Dec 31 1969
/dev/sound/mixer
crw------- 1 seki audio 14, 1 Dec 31 1969
/dev/sound/sequencer
crw------- 1 seki audio 14, 8 Dec 31 1969
/dev/sound/sequencer2
And I tried "lsof |grep sound" as suggested by the FAQ
and got
kdeinit 13633 seki 10u CHR 14,0 2063 /dev/sound/mixer

There is no sound server running.
Another thing I have to mention is that when
gnomemeeting starts, I saw this err message on the
command line:
Failed to load avcodec_set_print_fn

Any idea what is going wrong?
I think my permission on the device should be fine.
Would the kdeinit using /dev/sound/mixer a problem?
But I cannot kill kdeinit otherwise kde will end.
Actually I tried to use a plan X, without any WM,
there is still no sound.
Then I don't understand why I cannot write to the
/dev/sound/dsp device.

Would the error "Failed to load avcodec_set_print_fn"
be the cause? Then how can I solve it?

Thank you very much.

Shi Jin