Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Question related to GM,NM, OpenMCU

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 19:20 +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:

> That behavior *only* happens when there is a local firewall, all the
> symptoms described by Ashutosh lead to think there is a local firewall.
> The fact he can not telnet to the port NM is listening too confirms that
> behavior, so let's not mix different problems and draw wrong
> conclusions.

You sure? On my linux box:

 # iptables -n --list
 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

On my Windows box I don't have a firewall installed, but out of
curiosity I nmap'ed that box:

 # nmap -p 1- -sT 192.168.0.10
 Interesting ports on 192.168.0.10:
 (The 65531 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
 PORT     STATE SERVICE
 139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
 1503/tcp open  imtc-mcs
 1720/tcp open  H.323/Q.931
 5000/tcp open  UPnP
 MAC Address: 00:00:39:3F:80:9E (Toshiba)

 # nmap -p 1- -sU 192.168.0.10
 Interesting ports on 192.168.0.10:
 (The 65526 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
 PORT      STATE         SERVICE
 137/udp   open|filtered netbios-ns
 138/udp   open|filtered netbios-dgm
 1900/udp  open|filtered UPnP
 5002/udp  open|filtered rfe
 5003/udp  open|filtered filemaker
 49606/udp open|filtered unknown
 49607/udp open|filtered unknown
 49608/udp open|filtered unknown
 49609/udp open|filtered unknown
 MAC Address: 00:00:39:3F:80:9E (Toshiba)

So the ports are either closed (an according ICMP response was sent
to the challenge) or open (nmap says open|filtered on UDP ports
because on open ports it doesn't get neither an ICMP nor an UDP
response, so it can't actually distinguish open resp. filtered -
but those ports are obviously open).

OK, those closed ports could still be filtered, but since I didn't
install any firewall on the WindowsME box I'm still thinking that
my hanging nm->gm calls have a different reason.