Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Audio delay compared to netmeeting.

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 14:07 +1300, Derek Smithies wrote:
> Hi,
>  audio delays are an issue - why are they happening?
>
> Well, where is the delayed audio being stored, prior to play?
>
> a)in the sound system and is buffered heaps. Possible, and can be a
> problem. However, I would expect this to happen in all cases, not
> just when doing NM to GM
>
> b)in the jitter buffer ? Possible. If you specify a fixed jitter buffer
>    size, the jitter buffer cannot dynamically grow to (say) 3 seconds in
>    size.

Well, I'm aware of the fact that various timers, buffers and processing
steps, not to mention the codecs, just take their time. My question
arose because of the different OS/app behaviors, and only those
comparisons made me investigate the whole issue.

> c)fast start/slow start issue.
>   Can you try, when doing GM to NM, put GM in slow start mode, with no
>    h245 tunnelling. Does this make a difference ?

I tried that, after resolving a boot issue with Windows as it didn't
come up any more due my having installed FC3 on that laptop, and a
miracle occured.

More specifically, I unchecked h245 tunneling and early h245 in my
gm prefs (fast start was unchecked already), then called the netmeeting
client and sound was almost realtime in both ways. Curious as I am
I enabled early/tunneling h245 again, did a new call, and sound was
almost realtime again! I.e. latencies were gone. Then, I tried calling
the other way round, i.e. nm -> gm, and although I accepted the call
on the gm side, nm would just hang and don't establish the connection.
So, I tried gm -> nm again, the connection went alright but delays were
back again. And no matter what I did, restart either one or both
clients, check or uncheck all the h245 stuff, reboot either one or
both machines, the delays wouldn't vanish.

So, although I experienced success once, unfortunately as of yet not
reproducable, I feel that I've entered the realm of miracles and wonders,
and I guess I'm giving up on this.

Still, many thanks for your help and advice. Bruno.