Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Philips camera support discontinued?

pwc is GPL, and is ok to be in the kernel.
pwcx is proprietary, so can't go directly in the kernel.
nvidia is proprietary, so can't go directly in the kernel.

nvidia uses a generic interface to be loaded in the kernel at runtime,
ie: the interface happens to be there, and is widely used to get libre
modules loaded too. Hence, it is an acceptable module with respect to
the GPL.

pwcx on the other hand, gets into the kernel using an interface that is
specifically tailored for it. That is not compatible with the GPL. That
is the reason why the linux developpers want that interface out of the
libre part of the module. The author considers it the last straw, and
wants the full work pulled out.

In my oh so humble opinion, the kernel developpers made a good decision.
That doesn't mean the driver's author is wrong: he really did a good
work: he really had to wait too long to get in the kernel, and his
driver really has also been deliberately broken on a number of
occasions. I thank him for his work.

Still, if he decides to step down, the GPL part of his driver can still
work (I only use that part, and I would only need someone to take that
part back into the kernel). And if people really want pwcx back, here is
a way to have it back:
* make a nice interface to hook it in pwc;
* write a *useful* (ie: it really must serve a purpose for some device)
and libre decompressor sub-module;
* now if philips gets you to write a new pwcx for that interface, you're
in the same case as nvidia: a proprietary (sub-)module using a generic
interface.

If I made a mistake on anything above, feel free to answer and correct
me ; I've even been proven wrong on some occasions! ;-)

Snark on #gnomemeeting

PS: I prefer using the french "libre" than the english/american "free",
because "free" has two meanings (free as in freedom and as zero cost),
whereas "libre" has just one (the first!), and the one I want. (And it
has a latine origin so shouldn't hurt other people's feelings too much.)