Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Philips camera support discontinued?

George Bell wrote:
On Thursday 26 August 2004 05:32, Damien Sandras wrote:

Would be a rather bad news...

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

Bad news indeed. I suppose this proposed hook would "taint" the kernel just a little too much ? I really have trouble understanding the almost religious fanaticism on GPL that exists within the linux community. I use(and sometime even pay) for several proprietary hardware drivers in linux - the agp drivers for my ati card, linuxant drivers for my modem, a scsi emulation raid driver for my HighPoint hpt chip, driver for my Allied Telesyn nic, oss for my sound card. I have the freedom to choose from among GPL and non-GPL alternatives. These actions that restrict choices for users really goes against the basic Linux/GNU philosophy, I think.

Well I think we see now what can happen when the code is not GPl'd, like the case is with the pwcx module. So the best solution is if we somehow could get the pwcx code GPL'd.

Perhaps this developer of the PWC driver could go the way that linuxant and oss did? I am perhaps representative of many linux users who don't have any problems at all with non-GPL software, no matter how much it may "taint" the kernel. B.T.W. I really should be getting around to making that donation ;) You're doing great work and I want to see it continue.

George