Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] developing plans

Damien Sandras wrote:

Le vendredi 20 août 2004 à 13:35 +0200, maHo a écrit :
it's headache. I couldn't talk with lot of my friends because of that (they had no ability, or knowledge to configure their NAT).

I understand it is a concern and the reason why most newbies are using
Skype.

I think it isn't related to newbie. For example my friend has ISP which connect hundreds users through one IP. It's impossible to negotiate with ISP to redirect ports to particular user.
hmm, I don't understand you correctly. I think if both parties are behind NAT, there is no way to establish a call withoud intermediate server.

Yes and no...

The problem is to open an association at the NAT-level between the local
port and the router port, without that association open, no
communication is possible because the packets will be rejected by the
router when they arrive. An association is only possible when the host
behind the NAT has sent a packet to the remote host. If the remote host
is behind NAT, that packet won't arrive to it, that's the problem.

However, perhaps a public STUN server (a third-server) could be used to
determine what port is used, pass that port to the other GnomeMeeting
and then the other GnomeMeeting would guess what port is used on the NAT
for his calls, most NAT stacks allocating NAT ports in a linear way.

Anyway, in CVS, we have STUN support, but STUN support only works when
the NAT is not symmetric NAT (read the RFC for more info).

hmm, I don't know if I have enough knowledge to help in that. I'll read RFC and try if I can. Anyway, if there is NATed<->PublicIP model implemented in CVS, it should be enough for me

but question: is that NAT stuff Gnomemeeting specific, or there are some other clients which should be compatible with that?. Especially - is there some client for windows (unfortunately - win95) if I have public address, and my fried has windows behind the NAT?

regards

maHo