Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] developing plans

Damien Sandras wrote:

Hello,

Le vendredi 20 août 2004 à 13:17 +0200, maHo a écrit :
Hello

Gnomemeeting, good thing isn't convinient for people who are behind the firewall. Are there any plans to use something other then H323?. H323 needs lot of open ports.

One TCP port and 4 UDP ports for audio and video.
Using another standard protocol like SIP wouldn't help much as the
problem is the same (not precisely with firewalls, but with NAT) as it
is also using RTP as transport.

it's headache. I couldn't talk with lot of my friends because of that (they had no ability, or knowledge to configure their NAT).

I think the ideal thing should be such situation, that if one peer has ability to allow incoming connection, conversation should be established, even if second party is behind the firewall.

That's implemented in GnomeMeeting CVS.
If one peer has a public IP address, OR is behind NAT but is using one
of the technics mentionned in the FAQ (STUN/IP TRANSLATION/GATEKEEPER
PROXY/...), and if the other peer is behind NAT but unconfigured, then
the call will be established.

   ah, great!. I'll look at this soon.

The problem is when both peers are behind NAT. If you have time to
invest in this and work on "remote NAT port guessing", then it is
welcome.
hmm, I don't understand you correctly. I think if both parties are behind NAT, there is no way to establish a call withoud intermediate server.

regards

maHo