Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Quickcam 4000 pro + i810 7012 + ALSA problem

Le jeudi 12 août 2004 à 01:46 +0200, Zoilo Gomez a écrit :
> It does, at least on the machien with the i810 chipset!! Now I can use
> the MIC in the wizard test and hear myself 4 seconds later!

Excellent news!

> But on the other machine with the via82xx chipset however, situation is
> as follows:
> => wizard now offers ALSA/OSS/Quicknet to choose from (i.o. just
> OSS/Quicknet); I pick ALSA
> => audio chipset via8233a shows up, as well as USB device 0x46d:0x8b2
> => I am allowed to pick via8233a for output and USB-device for input
>
> But when I click on (wizard) 'Test settings' , the application freezes
> for a few seconds, then the box with the recording level pops up,
> immediately overruled by 'Cannot use the audio device' ... succesfully
> opened.... impossible to read data.
>
> Also manual recording using 'rec' or 'arecord' on /dev/dsp1 fails; it
> seems that the app freezes for some time, then comes back without an
> error, but with only very little recorded data. These recorded data make
> no sense (tick tick tick tick etc).
>
> I thought it had something to do with my USB-drivers in general, but
> when I skip the audio configuration and go straight for the video that
> works. hence my USB-drivers seems to me OK.

If arecord (using native ALSA), rec (using the OSS emulation layer) and
gnomemeeting all have the same behavior, then it suggests an ALSA bug. I
think you should try the ALSA mailing list and explain them your problem
with arecord. Try to make sure you are running the latest version of
alsa lib. It could also be a pwc bug... I think that's pwc that provides
the required methods for snd-usb-audio to work.

> Permissions for /dev/dsp* and /dev/mixer* are OK (double-checked).

Shouldn't matter when using native ALSA.