[GnomeMeeting-list] working through restrictive firewall

Hi,

I guess this is beating a dead horse, but I'm going to ask anyway since the reason is to help isolated medical patients (in this case bone marrow transplant recipients) communicate with their families.

I know that the best way to get through a firewall is to open up the required ports, or to change to a gatekeeper, or SIP gateway. However, the people I'm trying to help have no real technical expertise themselves at the home side and the hospitals' IT staff generally have bigger/other fish to fry or are simply too swamped to find time to work on it.

Is it possible to set up a vpn or something similar to tunnel all network traffic through a single port (preferably port 80 since it's almost always open) so that all the h323 ports are "open" between both computers? I'm sorry if this is a dumb/unworkable/already dismissed idea, but I'm stumped and would really like to be able to help these folks.

They are currently using some video phones that "work" over a regular POTS line, but the quality is, as you can imagine very poor.

I was hoping, in an ideal world, to be able to make a bootable CD with everything set up for gnomemeeting and the required vpn or whatever so the required technical stuff could be minimized for the patients (or anyone else).

Once again, I apologize if this is just a pipe dream, but I appreciate your thoughts anyway.

thanks,

morris