Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Mise à jour GnomeMeeting

Hi there,

I'm including the following message as I have a problem that seems related
to that one.

I'm trying to use gnome meeting on both a desktop computer with a VT8233
(AC97) audio card and an IBM Thinkpad A21p. Both are running RedHat 9.0
and the version of GnomeMeeting that comes with it, i.e. 0.96.0.

On the desktop, I tried to start GnoemMeeting as a normal user and it
complained about a key that is not correct (0). So I started as root, and
it worked, up to a problem of audio (I'll come back to that latter).

On the laptop, I had the same problem at start up, and went to root, and
started the thing, and everything went right. Then I restarted
GnomeMeeting as normal user, and it worked. I did that several time, and
once, with no apparent reason, it did not start, complaining about that
key again. In the FAQ it is said that this is related to permissions of
some files, which I check thoroughly. They were all ok. Five minutes
latter I restarted GnomeMeeting, and this time it worked. So, without
doing anything, I went from "work" to "don't work" to "work". What is
exactly going on ?

Back to the audio problem. On the desktop I have the sound card working
fine, at least for output: I can listen to CDs or watch DVDs. When I go to
configure audio, GnomeMeeting only display /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer for
audio player and recorder and audio player mixer and recorder mixer
respectively. When I try the "test audio" button, it complain that it
can't open the device /dev/dsp, although I'm superuser, and the
protections are ok, I checked them. That was the end of my tests on the
desktop.

On the Thinkpad, I had the same reduced set of devices available, but the
audio test worked fine with the internal microphone. I started to play
with it, but the sound level received at the other end of the connectin
was rather low, regardless of all the settings I could do on my side. And
at some point, when going through the configuration druid, I was offered
/dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, and /dev/mixer and /dev/mixer1. So for the
recorder, I choose /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1. It worked much better. The
sound level was much higher, both during the test and at the other end of
a connection. The nest time I tried GnomeMeeting again, dsp1 and mixer1
had disappeared. Play with plugging and unplugging the video, external
mike before or after launching GnomeMeeting, I managed to have it re-offer
me dsp1 and mixer1. But It's not reproductible.

So the question is: how does GnomeMeeting decide which devices it can use
and it will propose for configuration ?

By the way, the video always works fine on the laptop, aas soon as I plug
the WebCam.

Finally, a different question: I did my test with a colleague who is using
a Mac PowerBook. She was running OHphoneX on her Mac, and could see me and
hear me, no problem. And I could see her, but not hear her. From the view
meter on GnomeMeeting and from the OHphoneX log, it seems that the Mac
never sent any audio packet. Ever seen that problem ?

Thanks for your help, Jean-Marc Petit