Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Mise à jour GnomeMeeting

Hi,

Le lun, 19/04/2004 à 10:01 +0200, Jean-Marc Petit a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> I'm including the following message as I have a problem that seems related
> to that one.
>
> I'm trying to use gnome meeting on both a desktop computer with a VT8233
> (AC97) audio card and an IBM Thinkpad A21p. Both are running RedHat 9.0
> and the version of GnomeMeeting that comes with it, i.e. 0.96.0.

That is fairly outdated... We are at GnomeMeeting 1.0.2 now.

> On the desktop, I tried to start GnoemMeeting as a normal user and it
> complained about a key that is not correct (0). So I started as root, and
> it worked, up to a problem of audio (I'll come back to that latter).

Probably you have wrong permissions on the default GConf schemas (see
FAQ).

> On the laptop, I had the same problem at start up, and went to root, and
> started the thing, and everything went right. Then I restarted
> GnomeMeeting as normal user, and it worked. I did that several time, and
> once, with no apparent reason, it did not start, complaining about that
> key again. In the FAQ it is said that this is related to permissions of
> some files, which I check thoroughly. They were all ok. Five minutes
> latter I restarted GnomeMeeting, and this time it worked. So, without
> doing anything, I went from "work" to "don't work" to "work". What is
> exactly going on ?

Probably a GConf bug on RedHat 9.

> Back to the audio problem. On the desktop I have the sound card working
> fine, at least for output: I can listen to CDs or watch DVDs. When I go to
> configure audio, GnomeMeeting only display /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer for
> audio player and recorder and audio player mixer and recorder mixer
> respectively. When I try the "test audio" button, it complain that it
> can't open the device /dev/dsp, although I'm superuser, and the
> protections are ok, I checked them. That was the end of my tests on the
> desktop.

Check that no other software is using them (lsof /dev/dsp). Also make
sure your problem is not "it can open for playing but not for recording
or vice-versa" which woudl indicate a full-duplex problem (and the need
to install ALSA).

> On the Thinkpad, I had the same reduced set of devices available, but the
> audio test worked fine with the internal microphone. I started to play
> with it, but the sound level received at the other end of the connectin
> was rather low, regardless of all the settings I could do on my side. And
> at some point, when going through the configuration druid, I was offered
> /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, and /dev/mixer and /dev/mixer1. So for the
> recorder, I choose /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1. It worked much better. The
> sound level was much higher, both during the test and at the other end of
> a connection. The nest time I tried GnomeMeeting again, dsp1 and mixer1
> had disappeared. Play with plugging and unplugging the video, external
> mike before or after launching GnomeMeeting, I managed to have it re-offer
> me dsp1 and mixer1. But It's not reproductible.

That's a bug of your distribution. Probably the module offering dsp1 and
mixer1 is not loaded. Nothing GnomeMeeting can do about.

> So the question is: how does GnomeMeeting decide which devices it can use
> and it will propose for configuration ?

It looks for the list of possible devices, and tries to open them. If it
fails, then it doesn't add the device as "usable".

> By the way, the video always works fine on the laptop, aas soon as I plug
> the WebCam.
>
> Finally, a different question: I did my test with a colleague who is using
> a Mac PowerBook. She was running OHphoneX on her Mac, and could see me and
> hear me, no problem. And I could see her, but not hear her. From the view
> meter on GnomeMeeting and from the OHphoneX log, it seems that the Mac
> never sent any audio packet. Ever seen that problem ?

Yes that's frequent. Either you are Natted and misconfigured, or she
doesn't have a full-duplex soundcard and then the problem is on her
side.

Now I really suggest you to use ALSA and upgrade GnomeMeeting:
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=5&path=redhat/rh9