Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] problems with gnomemeeting

Hello Evan,

Le jeu, 01/04/2004 à 15:25 -0500, Evan a écrit :

> Neither aplay or arecord look to be installed. When i do aplay -l i get
> : bash: aplay: command not found. I did a search on google and found
> stuff on aplay but i wasnt sure how to install it. Can you direct me in
> the direction of where to get this and what i need to get it installed.
> Arecord -l i get the same issue, it can't find it.

In Debian, they are provided by the "alsa-utils" package. I don't know
for RedHat unfortunately :(

> I am running Redhat 9 and it has an option in system settings for
> soundcard detection. Through that you can see whether your soundcard is
> working, i was just stating that there doesn't look to be any issues
> with my soundcard. I am sorry that i was misleading with that, it
> doesn't have any direct relationship with gnomemeeting i just wanted to
> show that it was working.
>
> Doing an lsmod gives the following results:
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> i810_audio             27720   0
> soundcore               6404   2  [i810_audio]
> ac97_codec             13640   0  [i810_audio]
> ide-cd                 35708   0  (autoclean)
> cdrom                  33728   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
> mga                   104448   1
> agpgart                47776   3
> parport_pc             19076   1  (autoclean)
> lp                      8996   0  (autoclean)
> parport                37056   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
> autofs                 13268   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> e100                   60644   1
> ipt_REJECT              3928   6  (autoclean)
> iptable_filter          2412   1  (autoclean)
> ip_tables              15096   2  [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
> keybdev                 2944   0  (unused)
> mousedev                5492   1
> hid                    22148   0  (unused)
> input                   5856   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
> usb-uhci               26348   0  (unused)
> usbcore                78784   1  [hid usb-uhci]
> ext3                   70784   1
> jbd                    51892   1  [ext3]

That lsmod shows that you have not installed ALSA. You are still using
OSS with the i810 chipset. The fact that no device is detected with the
OSS plugin can be fixed by renaming the /dev/sound directory (don't
remove it, because if you have another problem due to the removing, you
are lost, so simply rename it).

However, once you will have renamed /dev/sound into something else, the
devices will be detected, but won't be usable in GnomeMeeting because
the i810 chipset simply doesn't work in full-duplex at the sample rates
required by GnomeMeeting.

The solution to that problem is to install ALSA. I can not really help
you with the process of installing ALSA on this mailing list as I'm not
using the same distribution than you, but perhaps someone else can do
it. If not, I suggest you upgrading to Fedora Core 2 when it is
released, or to ask on RedHat specific forums.

> I looked in /dev/sound but it gives me an error that there are too many
> files and that nautilus can't view them all. I do see a /dev/snd folder

That's a bit weird.