Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] gnomemeeting with firewire

> - I've used gnomemeeting for "normal"
> video-conferencing (low quality video, so-so sound,
> bad framerate) on slower connections. Has anybody used
> it on a T1 connection? How does it run? Is there a
> better solution?
This highly depends on the codec you're using. I have used GM for making
calls from Poland to Germany over 11mbit  WiFi and then T1 (and higher)
during a talk about GM and it worked extremely well (almost no delay and
jitter -- excellent sound and hi-res picture). The quality grows
noticeably if you use big pipes but after exceeding a certain bandwidth,
it doesn't get better because the bitrate-usage of the audio- and
video-codec is maxed out at some point. It's also very useful to try
different codecs (speex for sound is in my eyes a very good choice). The
quality between two GM peers is mostly better than between Netmeeting
and GM or Netmeeting and Netmeeting due to the vast choice of codecs
that are only partially present in NM. As of now, GM seems to be one of
the best solutions when looking at unicast VoIP and Vid-Conf. But
there's certainly a drawback if you want to do multi-user conferencing:
since GM is (as a H.323-client) unicast-oriented, you can only do group
calls using so called MCUs (e.g. OpenMCU). This is quite heavy in terms
of bandwidth-usage since the MCU-server needs to cope with the streams
that come in from and go out to all participating clients. This is,
obviously, not a problem with GM but with the concept of unicast VoIP
and Vid-Conf in general.

Due to the vast amount of different possible setups it's very difficult
to really issue generally valid statements about the performance.

Christian

--
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster