Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Creative Webcam problems

On Tuesday 28 Oct 2003 1:54 pm, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mar 28/10/2003 à 14:41, Anne Wilson a écrit :
> > crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
>
> Are you using devfs or not?
>
> If you are using devfs, the /dev/video* have to point to the real
> devices placed elsewhere in the arborescence (/dev/v4l/ or /dev/usb
> iirc).

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  /dev/video* is linked to
/dev/v4l/video0, listed above.

> Here is what you should do :
> - type "groups" as a normal user and paste the result here
> - do a ls -l /proc/video/dev and send us the result

[anne anne-linux anne]$ groups
users video slocate ups xgrp rpm audio usb cdrom games floppy wheel lp
disk tty adm sys cdwriter xcdwrite
[anne anne-linux anne]$

> - determine if you are really using devfs or not (look if you have
> something in /dev/usb/ and /dev/v4l/

crw-rw----    1 lp       sys      180,   0 Jan  1  1970 lp0
[anne anne-linux usb]$

crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
[anne anne-linux v4l]$

> > Error while opening video device /dev/video0
> >
> > > Have you tried to strace the program?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the use of strace.  It turns out a huge
> > stream of info and quickly fills the buffer(?).  I tried sending
> > it to a text file - the file was written, but 0 bytes long.  I
> > can copy and paste into a text file, but you will not see the
> > early part of the report.  What now?
>
> Just check the part where /dev/video0 is mentionned (you can use
> grep), but I think the solution to your problem is above.

Not found - it must be in the part lost off the front end, I think.

> > Does any of this tell you anything useful?
>
> Yes it tells that the device has been successfully opened. So I
> don't understand anymore. Can you give the FULL error message
> please?

Error while opening video device /dev/video0

The chosen Video Image will be transmitted during calls. If you didn't
choose any image, then the default GnomeMeeting logo will be
transmitted. Notice that you can always transmit a given image or the
GnomeMeeting logo by choosing "Picture" as video device.

Could not open the chosen channel with the chosen video format.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302