Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Creative Webcam problems

On Tuesday 28 Oct 2003 1:54 pm, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mar 28/10/2003 à 14:41, Anne Wilson a écrit :
> > crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
> Are you using devfs or not?
> If you are using devfs, the /dev/video* have to point to the real
> devices placed elsewhere in the arborescence (/dev/v4l/ or /dev/usb
> iirc).

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  /dev/video* is linked to
/dev/v4l/video0, listed above.

> Here is what you should do :
> - type "groups" as a normal user and paste the result here
> - do a ls -l /proc/video/dev and send us the result

[anne anne-linux anne]$ groups
users video slocate ups xgrp rpm audio usb cdrom games floppy wheel lp
disk tty adm sys cdwriter xcdwrite
[anne anne-linux anne]$

> - determine if you are really using devfs or not (look if you have
> something in /dev/usb/ and /dev/v4l/
crw-rw----    1 lp       sys      180,   0 Jan  1  1970 lp0
[anne anne-linux usb]$

crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
[anne anne-linux v4l]$

> > Error while opening video device /dev/video0
> >
> > > Have you tried to strace the program?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the use of strace.  It turns out a huge
> > stream of info and quickly fills the buffer(?).  I tried sending
> > it to a text file - the file was written, but 0 bytes long.  I
> > can copy and paste into a text file, but you will not see the
> > early part of the report.  What now?
> Just check the part where /dev/video0 is mentionned (you can use
> grep), but I think the solution to your problem is above.
Not found - it must be in the part lost off the front end, I think.

> > Does any of this tell you anything useful?
> Yes it tells that the device has been successfully opened. So I
> don't understand anymore. Can you give the FULL error message
> please?
Error while opening video device /dev/video0

The chosen Video Image will be transmitted during calls. If you didn't
choose any image, then the default GnomeMeeting logo will be
transmitted. Notice that you can always transmit a given image or the
GnomeMeeting logo by choosing "Picture" as video device.

Could not open the chosen channel with the chosen video format.

Registered Linux User No.293302
Have you visited yet?