Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Creative Webcam problems

On Tuesday 28 Oct 2003 10:34 am, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mar 28/10/2003 à 11:22, Anne Wilson a écrit :
> > > but the driver is working the same as root or as normal
> > > user, only the permissions to access the device are different.
> > > But if GnomeMeeting doesn't work because of permissions, other
> > > programs shouldn't work either, except if they are SUID root
> > > and that GnomeMeeting is not.
> >
> > Which sounds like saying 'it can't be' when it actually is.  So -
> > can
>
> Exactly, if it is a permissions problem, no program will be able to
> use the video device.

So perms on /dev/video* can be ruled out.

> Notice I do not know devfs at all, I've never used it, but I doubt
> it would give different level of permissions for different
> programs.

There has been a problem with msec resetting perms. This needs more
study from me, but it seems to me that it can't be the real problem.
If it were just that I should be able to get it working albeit
temporarily.

> > you give me a definitive list of the files/directories to which I
> > must have access if I'm to use GM as user?  I'm quite prepared to
> > believe that I may have missed one, but I've carefully checked
> > all that people have mentioned.
>
> First check the SUID thing, that could explain a lot.
> And GM will access the same devices as camstream anyway.

Could you be more specific, please?  While files do you want me to
check for suid?  Certainly /usr/bin/camstrean isn't.

I appreciate your suggestions

Anne

--
Registered Linux User No.293302