Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] quicknet and gnomemeeting questions

Hello,

Please subscribe to the mailing list before posting questions.
See my comments inline.

Le lun 13/10/2003 à 00:36, Eythan Weg a écrit :
> A few months ago I have acquired a Quicknet
> phonejack-pci with the new tigerjet chips.  It was
> not ready to play then but early in October I
> tried and successfully installed a new cvs driver.
> I am not sure if it is fully functional.
> Does anyone know whether it is?

I think it is ready now.

> Regardless, I am behind a firewall with network
> translation, and was able to use a few cents from
> my credit at microtelco without however having
> any successful calls.

The firewall is probably the problem.

> I have a few questions:
>
>   - what does the message on "Remote user cleared
>     the call" mean?

In a normal case, it means that the remote user (the one you are
calling) just put the phone on-hook. In your case, the message is
more vague, it simply indicates that call couldn't complete.

>   - I noticed in the gnomemeeting's faq that
>     TCP_PORT_RANCH refers to both tcp and udp
>     protocols.  Is this correct?

Absolutely not. Where did you read that?
TCP_PORT_RANGE is for TCP
RTP_PORT_RANGE and GK_PORT_RANGE are both for UDP

If you made a confusion, it certainly explains why it doesn't work.

>   - In what way an isp who sells VOIP could affect
>     the functionality of gnomemeeting?

By blocking VoIP ports for normal users. But I doubt they would do that,
it is certainly not legal. I suggest you to proceed that way :
1) make sure your firewall is ok
2) try to make a few calls (you can ask for a developer on
irc.gnome.org, #gnomemeeting) without the quicknet card
3) when it works, try to make a few calls (you can ask for a developer
on irc.gnome.org, #gnomemeeting) with the quicknet card
4) when it works, you can start calling normal phone numbers

The firewall is often a source of problems. The provider can be another
source of problems, but in most cases, it should work.