Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] new list member

Hello David,

Le mar 25/03/2003 à 21:41, David Colon a écrit :
> Hi,
> 	I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself since I'm new
> to the list.  I've got a strong unix background and I work full time as a
> systems engineer for an ISP.

Welcome to the list :)

> 	I just found out about gnomemeeting and I'm very excited about
> getting it working.  I plan to use it to communicate with family and
> friends around the world.  Most of them have broadband connections at home
> so we should make good use of them.  Most of them have only about 100kbps
> [kilobits] of uplink with about 50-100ms of latency between us.  Is this
> sufficient for gnomemeeting?  At this point, I'm shopping for cameras.

Yes, having around 128 kbits is far enough for a good quality
conference.

> The FAQ states that cameras by Creative are well supported.  Does anyone
> have good or bad experience with Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000?  I like the
> features that it has.

Yes, very good choice, it has a philips chipset and the philips driver
for Linux is of very good quality. Moreover that camera has an internal
microphone that you will be able to use with GnomeMeeting.

> 	For a speaker/mic combo, I'm looking at the headset by Plantronics
> called the Audio 90.  Again, I'm looking for feedback.

No idea about that one. I'm using a 10 Euros headset, I don't use its
microphone as I'm using the webcam microphone instead. Actually, a
simple headset from a CD player or Walkman is far enough if you buy that
camera.