[GnomeMeeting-list] newbie question - no X?

Hello,
I am working on a tele-robotic project and was wondering if someone might
shed some light on a few questions?

1. Gnomemeeting can work on kde and gnome wms but can it work without X? I
am interested because my project
has very little room (no hard drive) and I am trying to keep the kernel
footprint and other apps to a minimum.  I would
like to use gnomemeeting as a video/audio streaming daemon if possible?

2 Currently I am streaming video to an applet which can be displayed on a
web page. The next thing I was preparing to do
is to figure out how to stream audio both ways (client and server have
duplex sound cards). Certainly I can see the benefits
of using gnomemeeting (as it already does this with a possible dependency on
x windows).  Can someone tell me the benefits
of using h323 vs. streaming raw data over udp?

3. if I was to use gnomemeeting for this kind of purpose can anyone
recommend an appropriate codec(s)

4. Is there a better solution (is this another case of me trying to put the
octagonal peg through the round hole)?

Regards,
Greg.