Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] newbie question - no X?

Hi Greg,

GP> I am working on a tele-robotic project and was wondering if someone might
GP> shed some light on a few questions?

GP> 1. Gnomemeeting can work on kde and gnome wms but can it work without X? I
GP> am interested because my project
GP> has very little room (no hard drive) and I am trying to keep the kernel
GP> footprint and other apps to a minimum.  I would
GP> like to use gnomemeeting as a video/audio streaming daemon if possible?

currently GM does depend on X very much, and the console interface has
only subtile options to control the windowed display. thus at the
current state there's no working without X as far as i know. the
further problem might be for you, that GM requires gconf for it's
config-data. this would add another load to your non-hard drive space.
(although booting from CD-R or DVD-R might be an option, just like a
text-only version of KNOPPIX)

GP> 2 Currently I am streaming video to an applet which can be displayed on a
GP> web page. The next thing I was preparing to do
GP> is to figure out how to stream audio both ways (client and server have
GP> duplex sound cards).
    ^^^  heh, welll,.. duplex isn't the question, it's _FULL_ duplex..
    (although i guess you meant that, as most sound cards can send and
    receive somehow)

GP> Certainly I can see the benefits of using gnomemeeting (as it
GP> already does this with a possible dependency on x windows). Can
GP> someone tell me the benefits of using h323 vs. streaming raw data
GP> over udp?

well, the blatanly plain one is, there's a lib for h323, and there
might eventually be one for SIP (named OPAL).. thus damien just took
that lib for the transport, making GM on the one hand RFC-compatible
and on the other hand, free of the need to invent himself even the
transport togther with the GUI. (more or less, GM is a broadly
optimized GUI-version to the libopenh323, which is used e.g. by
ohphone, too)

GP> 3. if I was to use gnomemeeting for this kind of purpose can anyone
GP> recommend an appropriate codec(s)

any that fits your audiophilistic needs will do.. depends a bit on
taste and on the infrastructure you have to supply for (bandwitdh,
latency, ...)

GP> 4. Is there a better solution (is this another case of me trying to put the
GP> octagonal peg through the round hole)?

well, if u for every reason want to stay console, you might want to
peek at ohphone..

--
Cheers,
 Kilian