[GnomeMeeting-list] Logitech quickcam pro 3000 and can't open /dev/dsp1 for recording

Hi there,

I have been struggling for days now to setup gnomemeeting with my hardware
configuration and if  anybody can a shed a light on this I would be very
greatful.

My setup :
- IBM Thinkpad A31
- Linux distribution Redhat 8.0 with a 2.4.20 kernel.
- Sound card is detected as intel8x0.
The card works with oss and alsa drivers and also worked with standard
kernel and oss drivers.
I currently am using the alsa drivers compiled within the kernel (patched
kernel 2.4.20).
xmms works
- Webcam is a Logitech quickcam pro3000
The video portion of the quickcam works in xawtv and in gnomemeeting
without problems.
- Gnomemeeting is the latest rpm from the gnomemeeting website.

I tried the wizard within gnomemeeting and selected /dev/dsp and
/dev/mixer for playback.
This does not give errors.
For recording I tried to use /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1.
Here I get the error "Can't open /dev/dsp1 for recording".
No application uses the /dev/dsp1 (tested with lsof).
As a matter of fact this works : cat /dev/dsp1 > /dev/dsp. I hear the
sound of the webcam mic through the speakers.
Permissions :
/dev/dsp ,dsp1, mixer and mixer1 have crw for user and group as root.

Note :
Also tried with both set to /dev/dsp and this did not give me an error but
I want to use the builtin microphone of the webcam.
As a matter of fact no sound comes out the speakers (with an external
microphone attached).

My /etc/modules.conf :

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 eepro100
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
#Webcam
#alias char-major-81-1 pwc
#post-install pwc /sbin/insmod --force
/lib/modules/2.4.20-wolk4.0s-pre10/kernel/usb/pwcx-i386.o >/dev/null 2>&1
|| :
#Webcam audio part
#Other things
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

I really would like to use gnomemeeting as I think this a really cool
program ...

Regards,

Christian