Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 06:06:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul Knopp <bqqgernose yahoo com>
To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org
Subject: [GnomeMeeting-list] Running GnomeMeeting on
Knoppix / how to
make /dev/phone0?

I am able to run GnomeMeeting from a standalone cd
distribution called Knoppix (www.knoppix.net)  As long
as I start the live cd distro with the "knoppix alsa"
parameter, gnomemeeting starts up and logs in as
expected, using /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer as the audio
hardware.

However, I have a Quicknet Linuxjack card in the pc I
am using, and I want to set it up so that I can use
the phone card for my audio hardware.  I am able to do
a "modprobe ixj" command, and the driver reports as
confirms this.

My problem is that the /dev/phone or /dev/phone0
devices are not detected by gnomemeeting.  I googled
this problem, and it looks like the recommendation to
create the device is:

mknod /dev/phone0 c 100 0

This command runs without errors, and appears to
create a /dev/phone0 device, but it still is not
detected by GM (i.e. dsp is the only option for an
audio device).

When I get this working properly, I will create a FAQ
and post it on the knoppix website.  I think it will
be a great way to easily create a "test pen" h.323
without having to install anything on a hard drive,
compile any drivers, etc.

Thanks in advance,

~paul

*** end original post ***
Q. Matthias Redlich <m-redlich t-online de> asked:

Paul, are you sure that the new device has the correct
permissions?

A. I did a chmod 777 on the /dev/phone0 after i
created it, and it looked like the user account had
full access to it. (Pierre Cros
<pierre cros net-tn com> also asked this question as
well ;-)

Q1. From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
Is there a way for you to install the nsdk and test
things?
A1. I could, as long as it does not require that the
kernel-source is not installed.  Does nsdk require
this?

Q2. Also, is it using the old ixj driver from the
kernel or the new nixj one?

A1. The old ixj driver, but it should work, as this is
what I used when I installed this knoppix version to
my hard drive.

Probably NO chance I could copy a working /dev/phone0
to the knoppix workstation, huh?

Thanks in advance for any help the group may be able
to give...

Regards,

Paul