Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Logitech quickcam 4000 pro--no video device under Mandrake 9.0

> Hello,
>
> I think (but Im not sure) that the Logitech Quickcam 4000 Pro is not
> supported by the kernel in the Mandrake distribution, you need to
> install a newer kernel and patch the sources using the driver found on
> the Philip sLinux driver homepage.

hi all,
i confirm that that the Quickcam Pro 4000 need at least pwc-8.8 to be
recognized as Quickcam Pro 4000 by usbview. Notice too that with pwc-8.10
which is the last release of pwc , and which should be included in 2.4.21
kernel, you have to load pwcx kernel module too to make it work, you
didn't have to with pwc-8.8. The patch you need (pwc-8.8 or pwc-8.10 can
be found as told damien on the Philips Linux drivers homepage). I always
use clean kernel sources, so i don't know if the patch will work directly
on Mdk flavored kernel.
But i confirm that this webcam works great under linux with GnomeMeeting.

> Le jeu 23/01/2003 à 18:56, Andrew Carson a écrit :
>> The sound portion of gnomemeeting came up and working out of the box
>> for me  under Mandrake 9.0.  Subsequently I purchased a Logitech
>> QuickCam 4000 Pro.   I can not get it to work with Gnomemeeting (or
>> anything) under Mandrake 9.0.
>>
>> Here is what I have done to try to make it work:
>>
>> (1)  Installed Hotplug as recommended in Mandrake's instructions for
>> Gnomemeeting
>> (http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/90c/en/EverydayApplications.html/video-apps.html)
>>
>> (2) Used lsmod to see if PWC was loaded (It was not) (PWC is said to
>> be the  driver for this webCam)
>>
>> (3) Used modprobe to load PWC and verified  using lsmod that it was
>> now  loaded.
>>
>> (4) Used USBVIEW finding that the webcam is recognized as an unknown
>> device,  not as a video device.
>>
>> (5)Tried xawtv, getting this error message:
>>
>> This is xawtv-3.76, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.19-16mdk)
>> can't open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
>> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
>> v4l2: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
>> v4l: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
>> no video grabber device available
>>
>> (6) Tried to run Gnomemeeting, getting the error message:
>>

>>     error while opening /dev/video1, channel 0
>>
>> (7)  resetting the Gnomemeeting video device to video0 results in a
>> similar  error message.
>>
>> (8) Used the "find file" tool to try to search for video devices. I
>> was unable  to find any video devices.
>>

>> I realize that this is a problem with Mandrake 9.0 rather than with
>> Gnomemeeting, but thought that it might yet be appropriate for
>> the Gnomemeeting discussion group, as this is a common WebCam,
>> Mandrake is a  common Linux distro and the Linux  driver for the
>> webcam is widely available,  in fact even included in Mandrake 9.0.
>> I certainly bought it after doing  some homework which lead me to
>> believe that it should work under Linux.
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Andrew Carson.
>>
>> PS It works perfectly under windows 98 2nd ed.
> --
> Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>

Fabrice