[GnomeMeeting-list] Logitech quickcam 4000 pro--no video device under Mandrake 9.0

The sound portion of gnomemeeting came up and working out of the box for me
under Mandrake 9.0.  Subsequently I purchased a Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro.
I can not get it to work with Gnomemeeting (or anything) under Mandrake 9.0.

Here is what I have done to try to make it work:

(1)  Installed Hotplug as recommended in Mandrake's instructions for
Gnomemeeting
(http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/90c/en/EverydayApplications.html/video-apps.html)

(2) Used lsmod to see if PWC was loaded (It was not) (PWC is said to be the
driver for this webCam)

(3) Used modprobe to load PWC and verified  using lsmod that it was now
loaded.

(4) Used USBVIEW finding that the webcam is recognized as an unknown device,
not as a video device.

(5)Tried xawtv, getting this error message:

This is xawtv-3.76, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.19-16mdk)
can't open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
v4l2: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
v4l: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
no video grabber device available

(6) Tried to run Gnomemeeting, getting the error message:

    error while opening /dev/video1, channel 0

(7)  resetting the Gnomemeeting video device to video0 results in a similar
error message.

(8) Used the "find file" tool to try to search for video devices. I was unable
to find any video devices.

I realize that this is a problem with Mandrake 9.0 rather than with
Gnomemeeting, but thought that it might yet be appropriate for
the Gnomemeeting discussion group, as this is a common WebCam, Mandrake is a
common Linux distro and the Linux  driver for the webcam is widely available,
in fact even included in Mandrake 9.0.   I certainly bought it after doing
some homework which lead me to believe that it should work under Linux.

Sincerely,

Andrew Carson.

PS It works perfectly under windows 98 2nd ed.