Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] gnomemeeting, netmeeting, lan and NAT

Hello,

I will only answer for the GnomeMeeting -> Netmeeting part, I don't care
about the Netmeeting -> Netmeeting case.

> Machine 1 to Machine 2 - I get a connection - but on the netmeeting
> machine the gnomemeeting user shows up with no detected audio or
> video. Then if I disconnect the conversation from the gnomemeeting
> machine netmeeting hangs the win 2k box.

You have probably an Netmeeting bug there, if it crashes the Win2k
machine, but reading the FAQ would help. You do not give any useful hint
to debug the problem: telling "GnomeMeeting can't call Netmeeting, it
doesn't work" doesn't help much.
You should read this part of the FAQ and tell us what test cases you
passed and what happens relatively to the following question:
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0#AEN314

I guess that you didn't read it. In that case, I would advise you to do
it if possible. My guess is that the cryptic Netmeeting message simply
means that you deactivated G.711 (or Netmeeting did it), but there is no
common codec. Solution: Install MS-GSM. I guess that in that case, you
will get a communication, but perhaps not 2-ways sound. If it is the
case, then it means that your sound driver is not full-duplex, install a
modern full-duplex driver in that case.

> Same for Machine 1 to Machine 4.
>
> Machine 1 to Machine 3 - I get a message about abnormal disconnection.
>
> So - all connections both on the LAN and thru the firewall work for
> the netmeeting machines - but I'm getting nowhere fast with the
> gnomemeeting machine.
>
> Oh - the gnomemeeting machine has a logitech quickcam express camera
> and an old standard sound card with mic. These work. Gnome meeting can

How can you be sure that your soundcard driver for Linux is able to
record and play at the same time? Did you test this, how and with what
program? Having xmms (for example) working doesn't mean that your
soundcard works, it simply means that your soundcard is able to play a
sound, but GnomeMeeting requires far more than that.

Other tips:
- the h323_masq_module are buggy : they do not respect the H.323
protocol, they only react well with Netmeeting because they were coded
with Netmeeting in mind, and not with H.323 in mind. It means that they
will work with Netmeeting, but not with H.323 programs. What you have to
do for the GnomeMeeting (LAN) -> Netmeeting (Internet) case is to read :
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0#AEN192
- it is also probable that if you are using h323_masq_module, it
prevents to work the IP translation technic described in the FAQ and
supported by GnomeMeeting only.
- the logitech quickcam express Linux driver had several bugs that could
easily crash the machine when working in YUV420P, QCIF (formats required
by GnomeMeeting).

> see the local video and is set to send video on a connection. In fact
> - the statistics window shows the video being sent.
>
> I'm lost. Any hints on how to delve further in to this would be very
> welcome.

Read the FAQ, always read the FAQ, then ask ;)

--
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>