Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Seeting up ILS Server myself

Am Sonntag, 19. Januar 2003 00:19 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> Le sam 18/01/2003 à 22:21, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens a écrit :
> > Hello list,
> > first of all I want to thank the developers of gnomemeeting for their
> > excellent work.
> > It is really working fine and stable on my gentoo box, so I'm quite happy
> > with it.
>
> Thanks, but next release will still be better :)
>
> > Then the load raises so high.
> > I think the Perl script is the limiting factor.
> > Even at home (same hardware, except the SCSI thing), when I connect a
> > Windows XP - Netmeeting client (1, and only 1), the tendence is
> > reproducable by pressing repeatedly "F5" in the directory listing. The
> > load goes beond "2" for a simple, repeated ldap-search.
>
> Yes, we know that, but it doesn't use much CPU during a very long time.
> Our ILS server already reached > 100 users without problems.
>
> However, yes the PERL script is the limiting factor. There are not many
> solutions to the problem :
> - Patch the C code of OpenLDAP so that we don't need the Perl script
> - Get rid of ILS and use pure LDAP and not broken LDAP
>
> We plan to go for the second solution in the future. The problem is that
> it becomes incompatible with Netmeeting, but I really think that in the
> long term, people should stop using broken protocols like ILS.
>
> > Someone here on this list suggests to ask such questions here, because
> > some of your developers seem to know the NDK quiet well, so don't bomb
> > with this "off topic" thing.
> > I even tried to contact Mr. Baccala a longer time ago, is he alive ? (he
> > never answered)
> > Has anyone had such problems before ?
> > Any suggestions ?
> > Any solutions ?
> > (Do I realy have to set up a Windows 2000 Server to reliable performance
> > for this ?)
> >
> > Kindly yours,
> > Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens
Thank you for your answer.
I chose another way this morning, because I need the NetMeeting compat.
I'll take the newer OpenLDAP 2.1.x release which has a back-perl module, which
uses an embedded perl interpreter inside the slapd process; and I'll change
the code to put all requests against a MySQL database. I examined the perl
script in the NDK, and the problems don't araise because of the regex one
might think, the problem is the back-translation to the real ldap server.
I think this will give me much more reliable performance.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next release.

Cheers,
Stefan