Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Performances

Hi Alexis,

> I have a question, maybe stupid, but : when there is no communication,
> the webcam shows an image, with all the caracteristics of quality and
> velocity of this webcam; When there is a communication, all these
> caracteristics dramatically decrease. My question is : when I am in
> communication, what is the reason for seing my local image so bad ? Is
> it because of the increase of the work to do for the computer ? Does my
> contact sees what I see ? Is there a way to increase the quality during
> the conversation (with ADSL lines) ?

to me this sounds like a very normal effect:
- while there is no connection you see directly the image from the
webcam as good as the driver is able to show it.
- when you start a connection your image quality drops to the default
for DSL (70% or less, don't remember), but you should have a reasonable
framerate
- the cpu consumption goes up a little as the h261 codec needs to
compress your video

What you can do now is to tune the "video codec" parameters in the Prefs
of GM to suit your liking. The available bandwidth limits you however to
have either high framerate (faster changes) or quality (better image
quality, not so "blocky").

If you think you "ruined" your setup, you can return anytime to the
known default through the druid. Enjoy testing the options and please
give us feedback what's the better default choice for you, so we can at
least consider changing the defaults in the distribution.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian