Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gatekeeper

Damien Sandras schrieb:

Translated to mail this means:

"set your smpt server to smtp.gnome.org and then send a mail to webmaster"
instead of just mailing to webmaster smtp gnome org
This sounds so ill, that I believe to have misunderstood something. In

I don't understand what you mean ?!

what I mean, that an alias, like patrick is quite useless, if I can not qualify it. It makes sense to qualify it with the the gatekeeper. Qualifiing it with the ils server is ok, but only deferres the problem, because the ils server itselfe also needs a unique address and this address can not be the IP-Address, at least as long as we live in a bad world in need for firewalls.

In all docs I found, the blabla gatekeeper thing is inexistant. To call
an alias, you have to first register to the gatekeeper, then use the
alias to call the person. I think that it is the logical way to behave
for a gatekeeper.

I missunderstood the following explanation:
<snip>
Using a gatekeeper Type the account name, which is specified under Gatekeeper settings on the Advanced Calling Options dialog box.
*callto:*/someone microsoft com/

</snap>

It is blabla gateway  Don't confuse gatekeeper/gateway and ILS servers,
those are different things with different purposes.
I dont confuse gatekeeper and ils server but I might confuse gatekeeper and gateway.
for me, the gatekeeperproxy was something, that

1. can differentiate between two distinct users with the same ip address
2. act as a proxy to make it possible to call one of many users behind a firewall.
3. Provide a callto url to make use of Points 1 and 2.

gnugk does 1 and 2. Now I learn, that I am wrong about Point 3. But then, what thingy provides me point 3 and what is a gatekeeper good for if it meets point 1 and 2 only. Two users can impossibly be registered to the same gatekeeperproxy, if they are behind different firewalls. This will be the case in 99% of the long distance gnomemeeting sessions. Also, a user can not register to a different gatekeeper on every call he makes, this would be a qualifing procedure versus qualifing callto syntax.

I am terribly confused.

Patrick