[GnomeMeeting-list] webcam works with other applications like xawtv but not with GnomeMeeting - request help

I have a generic PC with a 350MHz PII (Asus P2B) which works fine with
xawtv and camserv.

The video capture card is an early Hauppage WinTV PCI card:

name            : BT878(Hauppauge (bt878))
type : VID_TYPE_CAPTURE|VID_TYPE_TUNER|VID_TYPE_TELETEXT|VID_TYPE_OVERLAY
hardware        : 0x1

Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
   Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 2).
     IRQ 7.
     Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=40.
     Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe3800000 [0xe3800fff].
 Bus  0, device   9, function  1:
   Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 2).
     IRQ 7.
     Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=255.
     Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe3000000 [0xe3000fff].
 Bus  0, device  10, function  0:

IRQ 7 printer services are disabled in the BIOS of the machine.
My SoundBlaster 16 is on IRQ 5, which is reserved for ISA. Interrupts are:

# cat interrupts
          CPU0
 0:    9918015          XT-PIC  timer
 1:       6765          XT-PIC  keyboard
 2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 5:        271          XT-PIC  soundblaster
 7:       4976          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, bttv
 8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
10:     288141          XT-PIC  eth0
11:      35471          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
12:     102642          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse

I have an NTSC video camera plugged into the composite video port of the
TV card.  The TV tuner on the card does not appear to work, but I do not
need to watch TV. At the bottom of this message I have included the
entire camserv.cfg file which works fine. The description of the
ccd camera from Pixera is at
pxg-200nd-st <http://www.pixera.com/pixeracatalog/pxg-200nd-st/pxg-200nd-st.htm>
http://www.pixera.com/pixeracatalog/pxg-200nd-st/pxg-200nd-st.htm

When I bring up GnomeMeeting and try to watch the video feed from
the camera, I get squiggly lines in the top 1/4 of the rectangle,
and the error message
"Error while opening video device , channel 1.
A test image will be transmitted.
Error while opening the device."

This happens whether I bring up gnomemeeting under the default
RedHat Gnome desktop or under fvwm2, which I prefer.

Here is the /dev/video* special device file system:
[root shasta jeffco]# ls -la /dev/vid*
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      81,   0 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/video0
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      81,   1 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/video1
crw-------    1 jeffco   root     172,   0 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/video1394
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      81,   2 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/video2
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      81,   3 Aug 30 16:31 /dev/video3

/dev/video:
total 124
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Oct 13 09:34 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root       118784 Oct 16 08:04 ..
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      10, 204 Aug 30 16:31 em8300
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      10, 206 Aug 30 16:31 em8300_ma
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      10, 205 Aug 30 16:31 em8300_mv
crw-------    1 jeffco   root      10, 207 Aug 30 16:31 em8300_sp

Preferences for video under Gnomemeeting are:
As far as software goes, I have a stock install of RedHat 8.0, and
I am running gnomemeeting-0.93.1-4.i386.rpm from disk 3 of the Redhat 8.0
5 disk set, as well as pwlib-1.3.3-5.i386.rpm and
openh323-1.9.3-4.i386.rpm: from the same disk.

Since I could not find the SDLlib on the RedHat set, I downloaded
SDL-1.2.5-1.i386.rpm from http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php.
All rpm installs occured without error.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Jeff Collins
jgcc pacbell net

Here is my /usr/local/share/camserv.cfg file:
# video_basic: The 'basic' color-changing video module.
[video_basic]
path            /usr/local/lib/libvideo_basic.so

# video_v4l_bttv:  Example of a common BTTV module for video4linux.
# port 0 == TV, port 1 = Composite 1, port 2 = Composite 2
# frequency == is the channel frequency for the TV
# autobright == 0 turns off autobrightness adjusting, otherwise it adjusts
#               the brightness of the picture every 'autobright' frames.
# brightmean == The mean pixel value that is the 'goal' of the autobright.
#               (0->255)
# brightx1->y2 == (x1,y1) top left coords, and (x2,y2) bottom right coords
#                 of a rectangle of which to take the average pixel value.
#                 this is then used in calculating the mean to adjust the
#                 brightness of the image.
# mode == the video norm to use:  0 == PAL, 1 == NTSC, 2 == SECAM, 3 == AUTO
# color,hue,contrast,brightness,whiteness = 0->60000, representing
# the value of each component.

[video_v4l_bttv]
path            /usr/local/lib/libvideo_v4l.so
device_path     /dev/video0
port            1
mode            1
frequency       0
color           30000
hue             30000
contrast        18000
brightness      30000
whiteness       20000
autobright      1
brightmean      128
brightx1        0
#brighty1       448
brighty1        0
#brightx2       0
brightx2        448
brighty2        336

#brightx1       0
#brighty1       448
#brightx2       0
#brighty2       336
# FreeBSD BTTV driver:
# port 0  = Video
#      1  = Tuner
[...]

# Channel Sets:
# nabscst   1
# cableirc  2
# cablehrc  3
# weurope   4
# jpnbcst   5
# jpncable  6
# xussr     7
# australia 8

[video_fbsd_bttv]
path            /usr/local/lib/libvideo_fbsd_bttv.so.0.0
port            1
width           448
height          336
autobright      100
#brightness     0
#chroma         180
#contrast       1000
channelset      2
channel         60

[video_v4l_qcam]
path            /usr/local/lib/libvideo_v4l.so
device_path     /dev/video1
port            0
color           30000
hue             30000
contrast        30000
brightness      30000
whiteness       30000
autobright      0

[jpg_filter]
path            /usr/local/lib/libjpg_filter.so
quality 40# text_filters: Text filters are used to provide text on your webcam # bg,fg == #RRGGBB if RGB camera, #CC if B&W camera,else 'transparent'
# x,y            == Coordinates for the text
# mangle         == 0 turns off mangling of the 'text', 1 turns it on
# text           == Text to display.  If mangling == 1, special metachars
#                   such as '$X' will be expanded -- see date(1) for lots of
#                   flags
# fontname       == 6x11 or 8x8 for the fontsize.

[hello_world_banner]
path            /usr/local/lib/libtext_filter.so
text            Hello World
bg              #000000
fg              #ffffff
x               0
y               0
mangle          0
fontname        6x11

[time_stamp]
path            /usr/local/lib/libtext_filter.so
text            Time: $X
bg              #000000
fg              #ffffff
x               0
y               11
mangle          1
fontname        8x8

[static_filter]
path            /usr/local/lib/librand_filter.so
num_perline     20
coloredpix      0

#
# You can add the imlib2_filter to your filters list to display pictures
# over your own, or small regions, or whatever your heart desires.
[imlib2_filter]
path            /usr/local/lib/libimlib2_filter.so
file            /tmp/my_nasty_picture.png
x               0
y               0

#  Begin Fixed Sections                  #

# socket parameters:
#       listen_port = port the camserv program listens on
#       max_frames  = Maximum # of frames to send to the client before
#                     closing the connection (0 disables)
#       max_bytes   = Maximum # of bytes to send to a client before
#                     closing the connection (0 disables)
#       max_seconds = Maximum # of seconds a client can be connected before
#                     being closed (0 disables)

[socket]
listen_port             9192
max_frames              0
max_bytes               0
max_seconds             0

[filters]
num_filters             2
filter0_section         time_stamp
filter1_section         jpg_filter
video_section           video_v4l_bttv
width                   448
height                  336
maxfps                  0
#maxfps                  1
memhack                 1

[main]
# To do a single time invocation of the output from the camserv,
# use output_snapfile which designates the output location, and
# output_presnaps to take a number of pictures before finally outputting
# the final image.
#output_snapfile                foo.jpg
#output_presnaps                100

I have configured GnomeMeeting to use /dev/video0 which is what works with
xawtv. I have selected NTSC.

Thanks again,

Jeff Collins

# [video] - This section is devoted to all things dealing with the pictures
#           taken by the input video module.  These are general things which
#           should be used by all video modules.

[video]

Video device    /dev/video0
Video channel   1
Video size      small
Video format    NTSC

Video codec is unchanged from the default.