Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Connection Problem

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 12:43:45AM +0100, Scott Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, I've just installed the latest redhat 7.3 kernel (2.4.18-4) and its
> got my webcam working.  I've been playing with gnomemeeting (bundled
> version with Redhat 7.3) for about an hour now, and I have a bit of a
> problem.
>
> (by the way, its a full install of 7.3, and all the gnomemeeting
> programs are installed)
>
> I'm testing this over a LAN from a linux box to a WinXP box with
> netmeeting 3.01.  When the XP box didn't have a webcam attached I could
> connect from gnomemeeting no problems, and on the XP box it would
> display the view from the webcam connected to the linux system.  No
> matter which way the connection was established -- linux to XP, or visa
> versa it would work perfectly.

perfect :)

> Next I connected a webcam to the XP box, and installed it correctly.
> Anyway the webcam worked on the XP box itself, but now when I connect
> using gnomemeeting (either directions -- XP to windows and other the
> way), it doesn't work correctly.
>
> What happens is the call goes through fine however it only stays
> connected for about half a second, and I get about the first image from
> each webcam on each system, then the connection is cut.

That is obviously not normal, on LAN. It can happen if too many packets are lost.

> I ran gnomemeeting in debug mode, and here are some main debug messages:
>

>  0:17.395	    H225 Caller:815d670	H225	Handling PDU: ReleaseComplete
> callRef=21952
>   0:17.395	    H225 Caller:815d670	H323	Clearing connection
> ip$localhost/21952 reason=EndedByRemoteUser
>   0:17.395	    H225 Caller:815d670	H323	Call end reason for
> ip$localhost/21952 set to EndedByRemoteUser
>   0:17.395	    H225 Caller:815d670	H323	Clearing connection
> ip$localhost/21952 reason=EndedByTransportFail
>   0:17.395	    H225 Caller:815d670	H225	Signal channel closed.
>   0:17.396	           H323 Cleaner	H323	Cleaning up connections

First of all, I have to congratulate you for the precision of your message.
The messages indicates that the Netmeeting for XP cleared itself the connection
(EndedByRemoteUser) because there was a transport error (EndedByTransportFail).

As you are telling me that it happens directly when you are connecting
the Netmeeting to the GnomeMeeting, and as you are telling me that it works
when GnomeMeeting sends video, I would suppose that the Netmeeting can't open
the video stream to the GnomeMeeting and then decides to close the connection.

Here are a few tips :
- check that you have the same effect in QCIF mode (Choose small as size for
video)
- check that you have no firewall rule on the Redhat (iptables -L)
- currently, GnomeMeeting is sending MS-GSM to Netmeeting XP (I guess that
either you installed it, either it is now provided in Netmeeting XP), but
the Netmeeting is sending G.711. Try to configure the Netmeeting so that
it sends MS-GSM too.

I have no other idea, but I guess that the problem is on the Netmeeting side.
If you want to confirm that the GnomeMeeting setup is ok, you can go on
irc.gnome.org, #gnomemeeting and ask for a live test with somebody present.

Thanks

Damien