[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Web cam page

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 14:46, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mer 27/03/2002 à 15:32, Chris Tooley a écrit :

> > > Try linux-usb.org; it could help, but I don't think such a list exists.
> > > There was a discussion earlier on the gnomemeeting list where people
> > > sent mails describing their webcam setup.
> > >
> > I thought that there was a point at which there was going to be a page
> > on the gnomemeeting website allowing users to post cameras and ratings.
>
> What is foreseen in the future is to include a page with users and
> cameras and ratings. But coding a PHP page to permit to users to post
> new cameras and rating would take too much time, and could lead to
> abuse.

I completely understand, and wasn't trying to criticize I was just
wanting to see if there was still some work being done there.

> However:
> * Rafael is doing it
> * We had a very limited feedback for about only 5 webcams
> * Users need to understand that we are not here to help to configure
> webcams or soundcards, our purpose is to help for GnomeMeeting. Making a
> webcam or a soundcard work, is a linux or a distribution problem, not a
> problem for GnomeMeeting developers.

I understand this, but I've always felt that front end developers, by
the nature of what they build, are going to take the brunt of these
questions because the people simply don't know where else to turn most
of the time.  A page that has the cameras listed on it, no matter how
relevant to the heart of the project will end in less questions that
take up developer time.

> > I guess I could have dreamed it.  It could be useful though.
> >
> > I wish I had more time to devote to helping with this project.
>
> Yes, if more people than me had more time to devote to GnomeMeeting,
> things would be better. Fortunately, some people are already helping in
> various areas, but more help is needed. For example, Im still the main
> developer that produces 95% of the code, that is a pitty for an Open
> Source project with many users.

It is.  If I wasn't involved in so many other open source projects I
truly would help out with this one.  I have found that unfortunately
this is all to often the case.