Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Sound problems

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 07:49:27PM +0000, Adrian Spilca wrote:
> Still me, with the sound problem ... :-(
>
> I have made more experiences and here are my conclusions.
>
> Connecting with people running either GM or Netmeeting allows me (sometimes?) to
> hear / be heard for one (or a few) seconds after the call was established. Tell me
> Damien, is this sound problem a common one, I mean is it possible that people
> running GM I've got in contact with have sound problems as well and it might be
> that mine is working at least sometimes?

I don't think so. My idea is that you are not using ALSA (but you are using it), or that perhaps your soundcard is natively not FUll - Duplex. I don't
know. Have I already asked you to test cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp ?

> My mixer problem is still there! I killed the artsd process (how else can I can
> get rid of it? apparently there is no shell script starting it) and still somebody
> is messing up with my mixer settings.  I don't know how, whatever I would do,
> after boot I come with either all mixer settings at zero or with some standard
> volume, PCM and Mic set but no IGain - so recording would not work.
>
> I tried avoiding KDE and using Gnome. Is this what you are trying to tell me?

Not really, it should work with KDE too, GnomeMeeting has plenty of KDE users.

> I didn't do GM experiences but the mixer behaves badly as well. I told you about
> GM setting all the mixer values at zero, under Gnome I've got the same behaviour
> starting Netscape! (or ppp?)

If mixer is set to 0, it means that the volume is 0.
But I wonder, what happens if you change the volumes with GM, then exit and
restart it ? Are the volume set to 0 again or not ?

> About Netmeeting: Is the 3.0 version working or there is a newer one I will need
> on the other side? Do the Netmeeting user has to do something about his codecs, or
> the two ends will try to negotiate the sound protocol? Is there some error message
> in case they fail in doing this or just no sound will be provided?

You can see in the history log of gnomemeeting (View->History) that two
sound channels are used : Transmitting and Receiving.
If you only see one of them, or not at all, then there will be no sound
cause no common codecs. For better compatibility your netmeeting friends
should install the MS-GSM codec.
You should go on the IRC channel for interactive help. Im tehre now for one
hour.