Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] T.120 text-chat

Hi

> I know that this has been discussed quite a lot before,
> so I don't intend to keep on nagging about it.
>
> However, regarding the (non) possibility to perform
> text-chat with MS Netmeeting users,
> I learned that it would require implementation of
> the T.120 protocol, which is currently not available
> for Linux.

Yes, the OpenH323 stack does not have T.120 support.
There is some code in openh323 but it has not been finished
and does not work.

> Anyway, as I understand, the T.120 protocol comprises a lot
> of functionality such as desktop sharing and file transfer, correct?

Yes, that is correct.
T.120 consists of a familty of protocols caled T.121, T.122, T.123 etc
I think T.126 is the text chat part.
But over all things are refered to as T.120.

> So I'm just wondering, in order to implement T.120 text-chat
> into GM, must the T.120 protocol as a whole be ported?
> Wouldn't it be possible to initially only port the T.120 "text-chat"
> feature, and not the other features?

You are right.
All that would be needed is T.126 (assuming that is the right number)
and the part of T.120 which sends data between applciations.

> Again, I'm not a developer, and therefore not very knowledgeable,
> but wouldn't implementing text-chat only be more or less
> as much (little) work as it were implementing GM's domestic
> text-chat feature?

Unfortunatly implementing T.120 is much much harder than the text chat
we added to GM.
That is why it has been on the TODO list for the OpenH323 developers
for a few years.

The OpenH323 development team know that users would like T.120 for text
chat, but they have no time to work on it.
The only way T.120 will get added is if someone pays for it or if some
developers
sit down and write it.

Roger