Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:19:38AM -0800, vim poweruser wrote:
> hi,
> thanks for the info,
> the thing thats worrying me most is
> installing alsa sound drivers.
> will they prevent other applications which
> rely on oss drives from running.
No, but you will have to compile the OSS compatibility modules.
I think that it is the default.
Pay attention that your kernel driver is perhaps Full-Duplex.
Some kernel drivers are full duplex for example the SB Live driver.
You could test that by :
1) killing the sound daemons (esd or artsd)
2) trying to record with "rec" (rec -d /dev/dsp0 myfile.wav)
(Im not sure of the syntax)
3) and at the same time playing some wav file.
If it works, then you can be sure that your driver is full duplex.

> the installation manual of alsa is totally F*()ed up
> ch. 17 is pre-install ( go figure )
> can't make head or tail of it.
>
> also where is the ms-codes netmeeting users need to
> download. no pointer to that in the FAQ.

In the download section of gnomemeeting.org together with
the other packages.
FAQ :
8.4. What is the best audio codec supported by GnomeMeeting?
GSM. GSM is not supported by Microsoft Netmeeting, but you can add it to Netmeeting. Just download the executable in the download section of http:// www.gnomemeeting.org

I hope it helps.