Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] settings / preferences

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 05:03, Marc Williams wrote:
> I wonder if I couldn't get some suggested settings and explanations for
> some of the available preferences.  Specifically:
>
> Suggested dial-up, broadband, and LAN settings for (yes, I use all three
> and I'd be surprised if I didn't have to change the settings depending
> on which I was doing).

	Hello Marc.
First, even if I anderstand your need of information, you should know a
few base steps.

H323 is a very intricated bag of protocols.
 	First look at http://www.protocols.com/pbook/h323.htm .
	The first figure will show you that if you want to 	explicitely
anderstand everything, you'll be in trouble.
	(Perhaps will you then become a H323 guru, and then you'll join 	the
crew to get GnomeMeeting better)

	Other usefull URL
http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/cgi-bin/search/standard/nph-findstd?scope=rfc&pattern=H323&matches=3
http://www.packetizer.com/iptel/h323/

	Then, you should consider that Video and Audio transmission at a
useable framerate, you'll need about 80Kbit/s
I say it on my own, there are the results of the bench I've done.
	The more bandwidth you have, the better.
	If you reach 80000bit/s, you'll have a quite good transmission.
	If you have modem 56k, you'll have pretty good sound, and rare picture.
	To have the better picture, you should stop moving. The more
differences between pictures, less precise they'll be.
	This is not true if you have Big bandwidth.

Second: You have to consider the number of parameters:
	Do your buddy share the same codec than you ?
	What is the bandwidth of your budy?
	Did he FREE the bandwidth to speak and transmit easyly (perhaps is his
Mp3 exchange eating all the bandwidth)

Then, you should let GM doing it alone.
If it dont function, then you should try to alter settings.
Dont forget that H323 is a very complicated family of protocols, and
that Firewalling or Masquerading it is a hell. Look at:
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/faq.php#AEN164 to convince you.

So at the question: What is a Gatekeeper, the response is in the
question. The H323 protocol is so obfuscated that there are tools to
manage it at the firewall stage.
	These two links if you wants more explainations
http://www.citygates.org/gKg/Main%20Level/GateKeepers/Whatis.htm
http://www.more.net/video_consulting/faq-gatekeeper.html

When I say suggested settings, I'm referring to
> a starting point, a number from which to tweak further:
> audio	Jitter buffer delay
> 	GSM Frames
> 	G.711 Frames
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Forget about this parameters

> video	Transmitted quality
> 	Updated Blocks
> 	Received quality
> 	Max Video Bandwidth (if chosen)
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Look at the FAQ for these ones.

> Why would I want to (or not) select the following:
> 	Silence detection

	If you speak, your voice go in you rmicro, that could stop transmiting
silences or noise if you dont speak. (freeing bandwidth)

> 	Video Transmission
> 	Transmitted FPS limit

	If you put 30FPS and hope to transmit it in your 56k modem line, forget
it.

	Look at the FAQ.
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/faq.php#AEN230

> Why are some audio codecs selected by default and some not?

	The system dont exactly choose the better, but the first. You should
select the best. I just have GSM selected for audio.

	(Damien tell me if I'm wrong)

> Why would I want to (or not) register with an ILS dir.?

	So. If you dont give your IP to anybody, nobody can call you.
If you're REGISTERED to an ILS server, you're visible to universe, and
people that dont know you can call you.

	Microsoft ILSs can be tuned to reject non NetMeeting registrations. You
should use argo.dyndns.org

	The concept of ILS registration will be subject of deep changes in
GnomeMeeting near future. Stay tuned.

> What is H.245 tunneling and why would I want to enable it?
>
> What is Fast Start and why would I want to enable it?

	If you connect well, keep it like that. If you have trouble (NAT or FW
trouble) try it. H245 lives in the very bottom of the H323 protocols,
near TCP. These are connexions ones. Keep it like that until you have
trouble.

> I'll bet I'm not the only one with these questions.  I didn't see most
> of this covered in the FAQ.

Read again 8th Chapter

> Btw, nice product.  Thanks for your time!!

	No Trouble.

	Rafael
Rafael Pinilla                           M.D.
rafa at nerim.fr                         Linux addict since 1992