[GnomeMeeting-list] Would vertical bars in image affect transmission?

I just noticed there are tiny vertical stripes in the images that come from my webcam.
Basically, every other column of pixels is darker than they should be.
By some experiments with my webcam, camserv, and a fitler I wrote for it, I found out that the stripes also make it harder to compress the image.
I wrote the filter to basically blur the image horizontally thus removing most of the affect of the striped appearance.
Those stripes might not normally be noticable, so it is hard to tell who else might have them in their webcam's images.

I was wondering if it made sense that sense thsoe stripes make it harder to jpeg encode the images that they also made it harder to compress the images in whatever format that gnomemeeting uses.
What do you think?
I would like to suggest the idea of an optional prefilter on the images to help smooth out images before compression.
I don't have much time, so I don't think I could really write the code myself.
I would suggest that the prefilter apply a 3x3 convolution matrix though.
That way, the person could modify the matrix for blurring or sharpness or contrast or embossing or whatever.
The main advantages would probably come from blurring (for low bandwidth people) or sharpness enhancements.
Does this seem like a feasible and useful idea?

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/