Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [DRAFT] Organization of the "find contact" task

Damien Sandras a écrit :
If the GmContact contains an URL field, that field can be empty when it
doesn't make sense. So I do not understand this approach.

Bad idea... if we put in GmContact anything that can be used in each and every case, we might as well say GmContact mean gpointer [500] and access the data using :
enum {
  CONTACT_NAME,
  CONTACT_URL,
  CONTACT_FOO,
  CONTACT_BAR,
  CONTACT_BAR
};

if (contact[CONTACT_NAME]) {
 /* this one has a name! How nice! */
}

Add to that that an XMPP contact, say user server can appear as user server/home, user server/work and user server/laptop (this is called a "ressource" of the account), each with its own presence information and its own capabilities (can do XHTML messages, can do jingle, can do foo, etc).

Trust me : you really want that the code which displays a contact, knows this contact to the very detail, not through an abstraction.

If we want to discuss further, please show me sample code that :
- Search for "Damien Sandras" in all types of address books and returns
a list of results
Cannot be done : not all contacts may have names attached to them. Notice that it isn't possible yet.

It should be a prerequisite.

To make that work, you would need to be able to present the result for the user. Unfortunately, that is not possible, since as explained, we don't have a non-empty common denominator between them :-/

- Imagine we have a callback triggered when some action is triggered on
the contact allowing to call him. Please show me the sample code of that
callback.
Actions are what I want to work on now that I think the view side is covered.

Yes, I'm waiting for pseudo-sample code to be convinced.

Honestly, I am too ;-)