Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Reworking the addressbook code

Le dimanche 28 mai 2006 à 22:04 +0200, Julien PUYDT a écrit :
> Damien Sandras a écrit :
> > Le dimanche 28 mai 2006 à 21:29 +0200, Julien PUYDT a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> here are a few ideas I have concerning the addressbook code. I wrote a
> >> much longer mail three days ago, but it is obsolete already...
> >>
> >> Idea 1: the call history should be a kind of addressbook
> >>
> > I have difficulties understanding this...
>
> Why have a separate window with the call history ? One should just go in
> the window where you usually find your contacts, and find your past
> contacts there, in a _("Call history") addressbook, with three different
> groups (placed, received, missed).

I tend to disagree with this. A call history is different from an
address book, I would never go in the address book to see my calls
history. The way you store them could be identical, but the presentation
should actually not be merged.

In the new UI, I see this :
- An address book as a separate window allowing to find contacts
- A roster, which is a view of the previous address book and which is
shown in the main UI
- The calls history, which is something separate, and is also shown in
the main UI

If you look at a cellular, from my experience, the most used actions
are :
- Dial from the "contacts" (ie the roster)
- Dial from the "calls history"
- Find new contacts (no address book for that here)

> >> Idea 2: it should be very easy to add various addressbook sources
> >>
> >> Idea 3: I must absolutely try to get back all features we had or Damien
> >> will hit me (again?) ;-)
> >>
> > Idea 4: the API shouldn't change.
>
> Gasp... how can I make it move without change !?

You can extend, but I do not see why the basic functions to
search/add/delete/modify contacts should change.

> > Idea 5: it should be working like GConf notifiers.
>
> Call it "signals" and it works the same ;-)

Indeed!
(o-
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net
                         sip:600000 ekiga net