[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Choppy Audio / Audio Dropout

Hello list,

I am new to this list, so please forgive me if I am barging in.

I have been using ekiga 2.0.1 for a couple of weeks now, and will
continue to do so because I think this is an excellent piece of
software, Well Done!

On my system I have been experiencing gaps and clicks in the audio while
in a call. This tends to occur while graphics operations are happening,
eg when switching between windows, or dragging windows around.

After much searching on the net, and on mailing lists, I found people
describing similar problems, and it seems that 2.6 kernels, certain
graphics drivers (eg radeon), and low latency audio don't mix too well.
I have also tried all the usual stuff like changing PCI latencies,
interrupt priorities, and changing the real-time scheduling attributes
of the ekiga process.

After a lot of testing, I came to the conclusion that the dropouts in
the audio were occurring because the ekiga process, under slight load
conditions, was not delivering the audio on-time, and not reading the
audio on-time.

Looking more closely at what was going on in pwlib, I could see the
buffer time was something quite small like 40mS. On my system, in order
to eliminate the dropouts on audio playback, this had to be increased to
300mS.
This solved the problems on audio receiving audio, but the audio from my
mic was still choppy with slight CPU load. Unfortunately, it wasn't just
a case of increasing the buffer size for recording because for some
reason alsa would only allow 2 periods in the record buffer. Therefore a
separate buffer thread was required in order to fix the recording
problems.
The buffer thread uses high priority realtime scheduling (SCHED_FIFO),
and seems to have been quite successful in completely solving the
problem with choppy recording.

At the moment, I am testing this mod as a proof-of-concept fix, and all
seems well so far.
I appreciate that the problems I have been encountering are most likely
related to hardware/drivers, and the mods I have been doing are all
within pwlib source, and not ekiga or opal.

If anyone is interested, let me know and i'll post the code/patch, but I
must warn you, this is a real hack, the code is very very bodgey.

Regards,

--
Craig Shelley
EMail: craig microtron org uk