Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Refactoring of the addressbook code

Le Jeudi 8 Juin 2006 13:00, Julien PUYDT a écrit :
> > Then you loop again through the address book contacts ;-). No need to
> > keep a copy of the contacts for that.
>
> You will need to keep a copy to show them to the user anyway.

Keeping contacts in memory is not the same at all as keeping an image of what
Ekiga has to display of them. The GUI needs basically a list of strings to
display, not the potentially complex data structure of an address book
contact.

Having one of these complex structures in memory at a time is enough IMHO.

Should it be only for performance reasons: when the user scrolls down the list
by one contact, it is much quicker to retreive data from a prepared list of
strings than from the contact itself.

> And notice
> that a same contact could be shown at several places through the user
> interface!

Yes, and perharps displayed in different ways.

> > No, and this article does not contain the word "roster" :-(.
>
> The "roster" is the list of 'dead' contacts. I use 'dead' to distinguish
> them from 'live' contacts.
>
> The situation is that you may have jc jabber lat in your roster, with
> the information that the name is "Julius Caesar", and belongs to the
> groups "Politicians" and "Jokers". But when he connects from his pda, he
> will show up as jc jabber lat/pda, and will neither be able to do VoIP,
> nor receive XHTML messages. When he is home, he connects from his
> computer as jc jabber lat/home, and will be able to do both. Now he goes
> to work, from where he shows up as jc jabber lat/work, which can do
> XHTML messaging, but not VoIP.

Aha.

> > Thanks for your openess, Julien :-).
>
> No problem. More brains means better solutions :-)

Yes, indeed. I hope my advice brings something constructive. As I told you in
private, you keep it or throw it, it's your decision.

> > I know. But I think it is always good to remove references to libraries
> > if you do not really need them.
>
> Well, glib is nice. The main problem KDE problem have with it is that it
> begins with a 'g' and is already used in GNOME. :-)

Do not believe that. We are not religious people. For example, we are very
happy sharing libxml with GNOME. Even though there is already a XML API in
Qt! Just because libxml rocks...

(oh yeah, there's no "g" in libxml... ;-) )

We already share libxml, desktop files, DocBook documentation, DBUS
communication, po translation memories, and many, many other things. Cool
apps like Ekiga can run in a KDE environment. Cool apps like ... errr...
KEuroCalc ;-) can run in a GNOME environment. And in fact I know that many
people do that.

In fact, the more we will be able to share with you, the happier we will be. I
can ensure you that this has always been what we said, even during private
discussions at KDE meetings.

I do not know why we do not share glib. I have my ideas about that, but it's
just personal assumptions ;-).

--
Éric