Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Refactoring of the addressbook code

Le Jeudi 8 Juin 2006 05:08, Jan Schampera a écrit :
> > Indeed! Excepted that you are just using the possibilities of the
> > programming  language, not of some library.
>
> Please note, regardless all other arguments, that an own C++-object
> system will be totally independant of the used framework. In case we
> leave GTK and GLib some day, the OOP approach won't need any changes.
>
> The GObject approach would need either an equivalent in the new
> framework, or a rewrite to (finally) OOP.

Yes. That was precisely my point.

> Beside that, I tend to say "a matter of taste".

Yes. Sometimes programming has to do with aesthetics. Compare:

=== GObject way ===
struct _GmBook {
  GObject parent;
};

struct _GmBookClass {
  GObjectClass parent;

  const gchar *(*get_name)(GmBook *self);
};
==================

with:

=== C++ way ===
class GmBook {
  public:
    virtual get_name() const;
}

My tastes tell me that second code, besides from being much shorter, has more
"beauty" than the first one. But as you say, tastes are a very personal
thing.

--
Éric