Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Full Screen Mode

Hmm, again I don't know much about this but I think what you describe can be handled by
hardware video overlay.

Just a quick googling has this about hardware video overlay at the zoomplayer's website:

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/highlights/vidrender.shtml

The Video Overlay:
At around 1995, when MPEG1 (VCD) playback started to become popular on the PC, the actual processing power of the PC was not quite strong enough to play such content. The display card manufacturers at the time came up with a solution called "The Video Overlay". The Video Overlay is a special hardware on the display card which is used to perform several video-display features in hardware (Stretching, Color-Space Conversion, etc...), thus allowing smooth playback of video at no cost to the CPU.

It does go on to say  that video rendering via dx9 (and thus I assume opengl)  provide better image quality and don't suffer from some multimonitor issues with video overlay.
Afaik, only one display can have hardware overlay so that's what he's referring to there.

But, for the most part, it sounds like hardware overlay would be a nice solution as well that just about everyone would benefit from as again, there are still a lot of people without good opengl in linux but most probably functional hardware overlay.

Maybe an option for both?