[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] KDE address book support in Ekiga

Éric Bischoff a écrit :
A small notice to let you know that I am working on adding support for KDE Address Book (kab) to Ekiga. I already have some early "proof of concept" code working (see screenshot at http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/ekiga/screenshot.png).

I know :-)

KDE Address Book is an application of its own, but it's also a library that is used by most KDE applications (KMail, Kontact, KPilot, Kopete, ...), and also by third-party applications like OpenOffice.org. It can use several "resources" for its addresses: local VCard files, remote LDAP servers, etc.

Nice.

Before anyone does the remark : YES it would be better if Evolution/GNOME and KDE shared the same address book library. But currently we have to live with this situation...

Indeed.

There are two issues that currently slow me down a bit:

1) Ekiga's address book model distinguishes between "local" and "remote" address books. This makes little sense for kab which can transparently use both local and remote resources. In a first time, my code will act as a "local" address book, just like Evolution address book.

I'm refactoring the addressbook ; and I don't like that distinction either. I'm still trying to convince Damien and Jan my ideas can fly. I think Jan is already beginning to see where I go ; Damien hasn't had the time to dive into it.

2) KDE address book currently has no field for SIP nor H323 addresses. I am currently trying to contact Will Stephenson (KDE) who added support for Skype addresses to see how we could do that cleanly.

Ok.

Of course, this functionality will remain optional and require no library for those who can live without it :-).

Ok too. We'll go with a --enable-kde at compile time. Then later on we'll see if it's possible to do something at runtime.

Any suggestion, wish, encouragement, criticism, and/or offer for help is welcome.

* Suggestion: use -devel-list ;-)
* Wish: what you have written will work well with what I have in mind
* Encouragement: I like the idea very much, and appreciate your working on ekiga * Criticism: couldn't you do that either long before or just after the re-architecturing? ;-) * Offer for help: uh... I'm refactoring, and it may help (the api I ask from "addressbooks" is much lighter).

Snark on #ekiga