Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP, RTP ports and firewall

> Treat me as stupid ;-) No, joking :-) Does it mean that I can safely
> remove the gnomemeeting entry from Gconf?

Yes ! :)

>>Yes and no, it is only useful for very advanced users. I want to keep
>>things simple.
>>

> Ok, agree. But how you want to explain to people they have to open some
> ports on there firewall if you don't know which one ;-)? Also, the range

They will be in the FAQ and in the doc of course (once they are updated)

> is always too large for me (security reason), especialy if you want to
> implement in professional areas and you have to ask the computer
> administrator to open 1000 ports on there firewall just for 1 or 2 VoIP
> devices!

1000 is indeed a bit exagerated. Actually, 4 are enough for RTP in general.

> I vote for a possibility to have RTP ports in preferences, even 1720 and
> 5060 ports should be possible to modify: if providers are blocking those
> ports, it's easier to modify in an application that to setup firewall
> rules (user side).

I vote against, but the debate is open.

> What's the difference for you about RTP and UDP? From what I saw, my
> audio went through 5065 which are marked UDP. Are RTP range only for H323?

RTP is the range of UDP ports used for RTP and RTCP.
UDP is the range of UDP ports used for anything else than RTP (like SIP
signalling, GK registering, ...).

They can overlap.