Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Ideas for a new GUI

Damien Sandras a écrit :

I will separate the text chat part from the main GUI, because it will be
possible to send text messages even to people with who you are not in
audio/video calls, thanks to SIP. It will also permit to have a
resizable window for it, which is more convenient.
Does that mean some kind of support for several "calls" ?

- sliders to adjust the audio / video settings

I had the idea to do something like Skype : everything in tabs. But that
is not very convenient. For example, imagine that you have a video
answering machine, and want to consult your video&voicemails. You will
need access to the dialpad (to navigate through the menus and mails),
and to the video (to watch the messages). Skype-like UI's do not allow
that, and having to switch between tabs is ... boring.
Everything in tabs is bad, I think (yes, I changed my mind since we last discussed it ;-) ). One should put in tabs only things that are fully separate and not much used.

On the other side, having the big GnomeMeeting logo displayed all the
time, even when there is no call, or when it is a voice-only call means
wasted space.

We have thus 3 possibilities :
If the dialpad is to be used in calls, it should come with everything about the call.

My proposition is the following: let's put everything about a call in the same window:
* its video ;
* the sound settings ;
* the text chat with that contact ;
* the button to end the call ;
* the button to forward the call ;
* the button to put the call on hold ;
* a dialpad ;
* etc

I don't think it would be sane to have actions on a call that are available only in another window. And I don't think it would be sane either to put informations about the same call (video, dialpad, text chat) in separate windows.

Snark

PS: can't we make a distinction between the dialpad used to dial, which could go in the main window, and the dialpad used to choose, which is used while in a call to make choices, and could go in the call window?