Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: [OpenH323]VIDEO ISSUE SOLVED:Reg Latest Openh323 compilation in Linux

Le vendredi 03 septembre 2004 à 00:04 +1000, Craig Southeren a écrit :
> > Same here, fortunately we do have that kind of problems only with
> > openh323 and not with other libs we are using or I would have cancelled
> > the project for long ;)
>
> Another threat?

A constatation

> > Sorry, but it works, we have not had any since report in our userbase
> > that it was broken, so please stop saying it is broken when it is not.
>
> So I'm confused again.
>
> If nothing is broken, then what are we talking about? I thought there
> was a problem with the plugins, or OpenH323, or something that was
> causing a problem in GM. If not, then where are we going?

It seems to me that the problem is that users are trying to use ohphone
with non-friendly names, but it only accepts friendly names. Using it
with friendly names certainly does work. GnomeMeeting is using friendly
names since 1.00 and we got no report that it was failing to open the
device.

> I still think that using the friendly names is a bad design decision,
> but if it's working, then I'm certainly not proposing changing it for
> hell of it

OK let's back to the real root of the problem.

Do you think that a good GUI should present :
"Philips ToUCam Pro 2"
"BTTV card"
"Quickcam USB"

or

"/dev/video0"
"/dev/video1"
"/dev/video2"

to users?

I think most users do not even know what device is what as hotplug
doesn't necessarily always load the modules in the same order...

//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org