[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: First development snapshot of OPAL released

Le lundi 11 octobre 2004 à 19:18 +1000, Craig Southeren a écrit :
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:23:19 +0200
> Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Craig,
> >
> > congrats for the release!
> >
> > However, I have ready that :
> >
> > "For the foreseeable future, both OpenH323 and OPAL will continue to be
> > maintained and updated. When we consider that OPAL has the same level of
> > maturity and H.323 functionality as OpenH323, we will move OpenH323 into
> > a maintenance-only mode. We're not sure when that will happen, but I'd
> > be very surprised if it is before July 2005."
> >
> > Does that mean that from an Endpoint point of view, ie from the GM point
> > of view, having a release of GnomeMeeting based on Opal only with the
> > same level of functionnality is not possible before July 2005?
>
> No, this is not correct.
>
> An OPAL port of GM should be possible once we add video, which hopefully
> should only be a few weeks. Once that is done, and we add in support for
> plugin codec, we intend to make OPAL the "preferred" stack that will be
> the focus of most new development work by Robert and myself. We will
> continue to maintain and update OpenH323, but new development will
> mostly be in OPAL.
>
> By July next next year, we hope to have converted all of the contributed
> software to OPAL and then OpenH323 can be "deprecated"
>
> > If that is the case, then I will delay the Opal porting from a few
> > months to not have to maintain 2 separate branches.
>
> As always, this is your choice.

Your clarification above shows it won't be required. Actually Opal
should be usable before July 2005, but July 2005 is the time when all
software will be ported and so OpenH323 can be "deprecated".

That's ok for me, I'll port after 1.2 is release which shouldn't be too
long anymore.
//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org