[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: First development snapshot of OPAL released

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:23:19 +0200
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> congrats for the release!
>
> However, I have ready that :
>
> "For the foreseeable future, both OpenH323 and OPAL will continue to be
> maintained and updated. When we consider that OPAL has the same level of
> maturity and H.323 functionality as OpenH323, we will move OpenH323 into
> a maintenance-only mode. We're not sure when that will happen, but I'd
> be very surprised if it is before July 2005."
>
> Does that mean that from an Endpoint point of view, ie from the GM point
> of view, having a release of GnomeMeeting based on Opal only with the
> same level of functionnality is not possible before July 2005?

No, this is not correct.

An OPAL port of GM should be possible once we add video, which hopefully
should only be a few weeks. Once that is done, and we add in support for
plugin codec, we intend to make OPAL the "preferred" stack that will be
the focus of most new development work by Robert and myself. We will
continue to maintain and update OpenH323, but new development will
mostly be in OPAL.

By July next next year, we hope to have converted all of the contributed
software to OPAL and then OpenH323 can be "deprecated"

> If that is the case, then I will delay the Opal porting from a few
> months to not have to maintain 2 separate branches.

As always, this is your choice.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog