Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] New addressbook

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 06:46, Damien Sandras wrote:
> A few things about the new address book:
>
> - If you want to add the Seconix ILS server, use the following
> settings :
> hostname: ils.seconix.com
> port: 389
> base: empty
> search attribute: rfc822mailbox
> (it will be a default)
>
> - If you want to add a real LDAP server, you can use the following
> settings :
> hostname: x500.bund.de
> port: 389
> base: "o=bund,c=de"
> search attribute: telephoneNumber

Will there still be a way of registering to an ILS server if desired?
(I can't think of a good reason over using a gatekeeper but someone
might want one)

> The search attribute is the LDAP attribute to use to build the calling
> url.
>
> On ILS, it will typically be the email address.
>
> On LDAP servers, if the LDAP server is H.350 based, it will be an
> attribute containing the alias on the gatekeeper (I don't remember the
> name).
>
> On normal LDAP servers, people will logically use it in conjunction with
> a gatekeeper where the user email address will be the thing to call to
> create a call.
>
> Another possibility on normal LDAP servers would be to use the
> "telephoneNumber" field, and to suppose that registered people are
> registered to e164.org or similar. In that case, their real phone number
> is associated to a real H.323 URL, if you call the telephone number,
> then the call will be established with the person having associated that
> phone number with a given H.323 URL in e164. GM 1.2 will support that.
>
> As you can see, you have several possibilities :
> - ILS without gatekeeper : rfc822mailbox
> - LDAP with H.350 and a gatekeeper : alias (the gatekeeper registered
> alias)
> - LDAP without H.350 but with a gatekeeper : rfc822mailbox
> - LDAP without H.323 and without a gatekeeper but with e164 :
> telephoneNumber

I guess my only concern is this will be confusing to most users.  Maybe
a few pre-canned options?

> Of course, you can register basically anything as alias to a gatekeeper,
> and then use the corresponding standard field in your LDAP server to
> call the user. For example, I could setup an LDAP server with standard
> attributes, and decide that people have to use their firstname to
> register to the gatekeeper. Then, the LDAP attribute to use to call
> people on your LDAP server will be "givenname".
>
> GM will come with sane defaults for :
> - ils.seconix.com
> - ldap.seconix.com (H.350 enabled)
>
> Then it will depend on the user if he wants to use telephoneNumber and
> e164 or rfc822mailbox or anything else. We will have to document that.
>
> Comments? Is it a good thing?

Yes.  This is certainly a very good thing.