Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] crash? crash!

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:14:56 +0100
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:

..deleted

> Given the number of weird reports I have received about 1.00, I think it
> might be safe to cancel it for 1 or 2 more months and ask to remove it
> from GNOME (or keep the old 0.98.5). I've been doing more than my best,
> sleeping only a few hours per night for that stupid project and the bugs
> that I discovered myself - because nobody is doing real serious testing
> except a very limited number of persons -, and now I'm really bored of
> it, of invalid bug reports for crashes and all that. If people are not
> doing their best, I won't either. It's Open Source, it's about
> collaboration, not about one or two coders who stop sleeping to code.

Damien, don't be so hard on yourself. As you say, this is supposed to be
fun :)

It's always stressful leading up to a release, but everyone knows you
are doing your best and I'm sure whatever version of GM you decide to
put into the next release will be just fine.

It's the nature of Open Source communities that bug reports from users
almost never contain enough information to fully analyse the problem. We
get this all the time in OpenH323 - sometimes we have the patience to
play 20 questions to find the problem, sometimes we don't. Sometimes,
you just have to live with knowing that there is probably a bug in the
code that will have to stay there until someone else has the time report
it properly.

Just add the reports to bugzilla, and then review them every so often
and see what looks familiar.

Creating good software is like creating a good piece of art - it is
always stressful for the artist, because no-one else has the same drive
and vision as the creator. And, as Leonardo Da Vinci once said:

   'Art is never finished, only abandoned'

  Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/